In the wake of the kickback against the government’s recent decision to impose a IDR 3.75-million entry fee to Komodo Island and Padar Island, Tourism and Creative Economy Minister Sandiaga Uno gave assurances that the plan will be postponed until January 2023, following a Presidential instruction early last week, according to recent reporting by Tempo.
“So this is in accordance with the direction of the President,” Sandiaga said after a cabinet meeting at the Presidential Palace in Jakarta, on Monday, August 8.
Ahead of the new tariffs taking effect, Sandiaga said the government would prepare transparent communications in the next few months. “We want to accommodate all aspirations from all levels of society,” said Sandi.
As previously reported, the Head of the East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) tourism agency, Zet Sony Libing, on Monday confirmed to Tempo that the agency has officially postponed increasing the entry fee to Komodo Island and Padar Island. He said that NTT Governor Viktor Bungtilu Laiskodat decided to postpone it until the end of this year, or December 31.
This effectively means that the entry fee of IDR 3.75-million per person into the Komodo Island and Padar Island will be implemented on January 1, 2023.